Use the question guide below to identify the birds found on Tern Island in the French Frigate Shoals!! This tool is called a dicotomous key which scientists use to identify a species they don't know. Look carefully at the physical characteristics of the bird that you want to identify and read the questions in the key below. Start with question 1 and follow the directions, when you reach the name of the bird click on the link to see if you are right.
1. Is the body all or mostly white? If yes, go to question 2
Is the body dark? If yes, go to question 8
2. Is the body all white? If yes, go to question 3
Is the body white with dark markings? If yes, go to question 5
3. No streamer on tail? It's a White Tern!
Is there a streamer on tail? If yes, go to question 4
4. Is the streamer on the tail white? If yes - It's a White-tailed Tropicbird
Is the streamer on the tail red? If yes- It's a Red-Tailed Tropicbird
5. Are there dark markings on the head? If yes, go to question 6
Is the head all white?
Does it have red feet? If yes- It's a Red-Footed Booby
6. Is the entire head dark grey? If yes- It's a juvenile Albatross
Does it have dark and white markings on the head? If yes, go to question 7
7. Is there a black bar through the eye and a black crown? If yes- It's a Sooty Tern
Does it have a black mask on it's face? If yes - It's a Masked Booby
8. Does it have a hooked beak? If yes- It's a Frigate Bird
Does it have a thin straight beak? If yes, to go question 9
9. Does it have a brown body and a light "cap" on it's head with fuzzy edges? If yes- It's a Brown Noddy
Does it have a very dark brown body and a white "cap" on it's head? If yes - It's a Black Noddy